The use of e-cigarettes is now very high across the entire youth population. E-cigarettes may appeal to teens because of their high-tech design, easy availability and variety of flavor options. While it is illegal in Washington to sell an e-cigarette or vape pen to anyone under the age of 18, the availability of devices online makes it difficult to enforce this law. Washington’s future depends on the health of our children. We want the next generation to be the healthiest ever.
In 2016, about 12.7% of 10th graders say they used an e-cigarette or vape pen in the last 30 days.
- Increasing substance abuse prevention programs in schools and consulting with all school districts on updating their smoking policies to include the use of e-cigarettes.
- Collaborating with counties and cities interested in implementing e-cigarette bans and comprehensive policy options.
- Providing technical assistance and education on the development of state policy options to prevent youth substance use associated with tobacco and drug delivery e-cigarettes and vapor products.
- Partnering with the Washington Poison Center on combined educational efforts to decrease the exposure of liquid nicotine among children and youth.
- Monitoring rates of e-cigarette use among youth and adults.
- Learn about e-cigarettes, e-pens or vaping devices before you try them. For more information about these products, visit this website.
- If you want to stop using tobacco or e-cigarettes you can call the quitline at 1-800-QUIT-NOW or 1-800-784-8669.
- You can also visit www.teen.smokefree.gov for help and resources.
Parents and guardians.
- Learn about e-cigarettes, e-pens or vaping devices by visiting this website .
- Talk with your children about smoking and urge them not to start. Visit StartTalkingNow.org for help talking to your child.
- If your child does smoke, learn about resources that can help them quit by visiting this website.
- E-cigarettes have not been proven to help quit tobacco. The best way to quit is with a combination of counseling and nicotine replacement. For help quitting, call 1-800-QUIT-NOW or 1-800-784-8669.